Saturday, October 16, 2010

The week after the race before

Running wise, it's been a fairly light, but satisfying week following the half marathon. Only 26km run, but I think that that's ok following a big run like I did last week. And I've been reasonably happy with my runs too, it was 26km at good pace, not just dawdling along.

I've also been doing some thinking, about what I want to achieve for the rest of the year. I spent some time on the runners world forums, trying to find out why my time last week was not what I was hoping for. One of the things that stood out was that I just didn't have enough miles behind me to be worrying about running PB's. And to be honest, I don't have the time (either hours a day, or days available) to get the sort of mileage I really need between now and Kerikeri, It's only 5 weeks away.

I'm still going to run it, but instead of having a goal time of 2hr 10 min, I'm going to set myself some different goals for this one.

  1. Run the race weighing less than 100kg (As of today I weigh 103kg)
  2. Run every step, however slowly (That is something that has really bothered me from Wellington and Waitakere, I walked for parts in both)
  3. Enjoy the run (For the last 2 halfs, I've gotten so disappointed half way through, when I realised I wouldn't set the time I wanted, that I hated the 2nd half. A feeling I need to change)
  4. Have 2 training runs longer than 15km.
If I can do those things, then I'll walk away feeling good about myself. And to be honest, the time will look after itself anyway. 

I've also decided to add some strength training to my week, I've started the 100 pushups, 200 situps and 200 squats programs. It's only body weight stuff, but it's a lot more than I've been doing up until now, so it has to help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment