Monday, February 21, 2011

Mangawhai Triathlon

Well I've finally done it. As of Sunday 20 February I am officially a triathlete. I competed in the Mangawhai Triathlon, and here is how it unfolded:

The race:


Swim: 500m 10-11ish minutes, tide assisted. I've never done an open water swim before, so this was the most worrying part for me. I struggled to keep in a straight line at times, and getting in and out from the beach (across the current) was tough, but I still made it out of the water in the top 1/3 of the field.

T1: very slow... never done this before, socks and shoes with laces on them are not fast; I lost quite a few places here.

Ride: 17km, 39:18. It seems this is my weakest leg; I'm getting a lot better than I was 6 months ago, but I'm still really, really slow up hills. Unfortunately the first 6-7ks were climbing. I could hold my own and even take some places back on the flat, but definitely lost a lot here.

T2: Fast, I don't yet have cycling shoes, so just rack the bike, lose the helmet and off down the road.

Run: 5km, 26:30. I went a bit harder than I planned on the bike, so the legs were feeling a bit rubbery for the first 1.5-2km. But once I get into my rhythm I was off. Running's definitely my strongest discipline and I was able to make up several places I lost on the bike.

I finished in 1:19:03, 62 out of 98 finishers (38/55 male finishers). I learnt a lot, had a great time and will definitely be back for more.

2 comments:

  1. Is that the normal distance in a triathlon
    500m swim
    17k bike
    5k run
    Asking cause I think it would be a great thing to train for

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are all sorts of different length triathlons,

    This one was a 'sprint' or in other words short one.

    The Olympic length is Swim: 1500m, Bike: 40km, run 10km

    All the way up to the full Ironman which is Swim: 4km, Bike: 180km, Run:42km.

    Its definitely a great thing to train for, If you have half as much fun as I did you'll be happy!

    ReplyDelete