Thursday, October 18, 2012

Waitakere Half Marathon, 2012




My impromptu HM on the weekend went surprisingly well (by my standards). The lead in would have to be close to the worst possible I could have devised. Nothing resembling tapering or peaking for this one. The only allowance I made was moving my long bike ride from Saturday morning, to Friday evening. And then Saturday, the night before, was a BBQ for my girlfriends birthday, so late night and a few beers/rums consumed... (carbo loading right?)

Anyway, on race day I started too far back in the field, so lost a bit of time weaving through the traffic. After a few kms was able to get into my rythem. I continued with the walk break, calf protection, strategy I've been using and it went ok. I took a short walk break, about a minute, ever 3km. Until I started to fade in the last 5k where I switched to ever 1.5km. 

Anyway, I ran at a 'higher than LSR' pace, but not an 'all out race' pace, and ended up finishing in 2:03:09. which gives me a new PB of just over 7 minutes. (i think that shows how soft my previous best was, as opposed to how well I went this time tho)

I finished, 127/226 over all, 98/145 males and 17/29 in the M18-29 age group. GPS can be found here

All and all, I'm quite pleased with things, I'm definitely running as well as I ever have, and this was a good milestone on the way to the HIM in January. 




No comments:

Post a Comment