Friday, January 18, 2013

40 hours till show time

It’s starting to get very real.

January 2011. Over 2 years ago. That’s when I made the decision to try to train for and complete a half iron distance triathlon. It was supposed to happen December 2011 in Taupo. But a calf injury ended those plans. Then after months of very limited training, and a slow rebuild of my fitness, it was going to happen in December 2012, again in Taupo. Common sense led to the decision to focus on university exams in November, this meant that again, it didn’t happen.

So here we are, January 18 2013. Over 2 years since I made this my goal, and I am less than 48 hours away from lining up for my first half ironman.

I’m a bundle of nervous energy. I’m excited, I’m inpatient to get started, I’m worried I’m not good enough, and I’m worried that I don’t belong in this event. I’m scared of embarrassing myself, and letting down my friends and family, who have put up with my training for a year.

Since making a HIM my goal, I’ve run 2,320km, biked 9,000km, and swam for 200km. Over 675 hours of training. It hasn’t all been ideal. I’ve made gains, and I’ve had setbacks. My weight has dropped, and gone up again. But overall the trends are good. My weight is dropping; the bounce backs are lower every time. My fitness is improving out of sight; a long ride used to be 30km, now 40km is a short easy workout.

So I’ve done the work. I have but in the hours. There is no reason why I can’t complete this race. All I can do now is rest up, and be ready to go on Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment