My impromptu HM on the weekend went surprisingly well (by my standards). The lead in would have to be close to the worst possible I could have devised. Nothing resembling tapering or peaking for this one. The only allowance I made was moving my long bike ride from Saturday morning, to Friday evening. And then Saturday, the night before, was a BBQ for my girlfriends birthday, so late night and a few beers/rums consumed... (carbo loading right?)
Anyway, on race day I started too far back in the field, so lost a bit of time weaving through the traffic. After a few kms was able to get into my rythem. I continued with the walk break, calf protection, strategy I've been using and it went ok. I took a short walk break, about a minute, ever 3km. Until I started to fade in the last 5k where I switched to ever 1.5km.
Anyway, I ran at a 'higher than LSR' pace, but not an 'all out race' pace, and ended up finishing in 2:03:09. which gives me a new PB of just over 7 minutes. (i think that shows how soft my previous best was, as opposed to how well I went this time tho)
I finished, 127/226 over all, 98/145 males and 17/29 in the M18-29 age group. GPS can be found here
All and all, I'm quite pleased with things, I'm definitely running as well as I ever have, and this was a good milestone on the way to the HIM in January.


No comments:
Post a Comment